E- Reading is indeed a project in which the ITCs are just an excuse to work on our students’ linguistic competence. A group of teachers from CEAD Santa Cruz de Tenerife Mercedes Pinto ( a blended learning school for adults) has gathered together to create this project thanks to which different subject matters tried to reach the same goal: we, the E-reading team, aim at, through the training we might receive abroad, being the force which starts the Linguist Project in our institution, a project where the digital competence and the linguistic competence would have to be «chained» together. We asked for 8 training courses for teachers with a B1/B2/C1 level of English and were granted four training courses and two job shadowing experiences. We could finally do five courses and one job shadowing .
All chosen teachers have a B1 / B2 or C1 in English and the activities we have done abroad were aimed at learning new techniques to develop communicative competence and digital competence, knowledge of the culture of other countries, having the chance to meet new prospective partners , deepening the European dimension of education, and focusing on business English so that Vocational Training teachers could continue to contribute with activities to the language training in English of their learners.
The motilities made were:
- Structured Study Visit to Schools / Institutes & Training Seminar in Iceland. The teacher sent enjoyed the opportunity to meet and interact with teachers, head teachers or principals, experts, advisors, etc.; to discover educational institutions in a variety of sectors (primary, secondary, vocational, adult lifelong learning, etc.); to experience a powerful and unique school culture; to observe innovative approaches to learning; he also had the opportunity to establish a network of professional contacts. More info:
- Two courses on digital technology for teaching in Ireland. Participants had the opportunity to familiarize with recent pedagogical and classroom technology developments in ELT and to increase their skill and confidence in the use of some computer applications, particularly in an environment where many of the students are very digitally savvy. They could also learn how to adapt some ready-made programs to their particular classroom requirements. The course gave them the chance to test new apps and it motivated them (a Chemistry and a Natural Science teacher) to test them with their students , increasing, thanks to what they learnt, their student engagement on their return to their schools. More info:
- And https://animoto.com/play/lmxPzwC7rp5WEAylF30gPw
- A course on methodology of English and culture. Participant (an English teacher) could improve her teaching strategies, especially in the digital field, while learning about Scottish culture and customs. The course provided new strategies for learning and teaching and contacts with potential partners and European partners.
- More info: https://www3.gobiernodecanarias.org/medusa/proyecto/38010141-0001/?p=388
- Two courses on Business English for vocational training teachers. What they learnt has had an effect on the teaching of English from professionals who are not English teachers.
The results were, as promised:
a) On-line catalog with all the things we have learned to develop communicative competence through digital competence.
b) Organization of chats/talks for teachers interested where we provided information and advice on the resources learned in our courses.
c) Dissemination of our Project .
d) Starting the development of a Linguistic Plan in our institution.
d) Some activities in English created by the Biology and Physics and Chemistry department.
f) Creating an E-twinning group on technology in the classroom and communicative competence.
g) Specific activities for Vocational training (Business) where English is linked to the activities organized by Vocational Training teachers.
Activity: Films and documentaries in English as a way to improve our students’ the level of English and interest on Economics. The teachers involved ( who did two mobilities thanks to the project) teach their subjects in Spanish since we are not a CLIL school but for this activity they used English.
Please follow this link. Feel free to give your opinion.
h) A blog
Impact and benefit: the entire school community at local, national and international levels.