26th April 2018.
Students will be able to write and solve word problems that require the multiplication of fractions by whole numbers.
- The teacher gave some word problem to students.
- students talked with each other about how they would solve this word problem.
- The teacher called on some students to share how they would solve the problem.
- Today, students were learning how to multiply fractions by whole numbers. They also wrote their own word problems that require this type of math.
Independent Working Time
- Handed out lined paper to each student.
- Explained that students will be writing their own word problems that involve multiplying a fraction by a whole number.
- When they finished, students solved their word problem at the bottom.
- Encouraged students to use the «key terms» list on the board to help them as they write their word problems.
- Circulated the room to ensure that students’ word problems require multiplication of fractions and whole numbers.
- When they finished, students could share their word problems for their classmates to solve.
- Encouraged students to be creative with their word problems!
The most important thing
- Students simplified their answers after solving the problem.
- The teacher gave these students sentence stems to help them write their word problem.