Coordinator of the Project: English department at CEAD Santa Cruz de Tenerife Mercedes Pinto.
We have created a project to link together poetry and visual arts. We have chosen six poems from English , American and Irish literature which deal with Mankind and which are
- «If » by Rudyard Kipling. Topic: believing in our own ability to find and reach our goals
- «When they all were away at Mass», by Seamus Heaney. Topic: love to our parents.
- «There is no way to say good-bye» , by Leonard Cohen . Topic: love to a man or to a woman.
- «Invictus», by William Ernest Henley.Topic: fear and hope when facing the unknown.
- «Fire And Ice» by Robert Frost . Topic: destruction.
- «Windrush Child» by John Agard. Topic: immigration
After getting familiar with the six poems they would have to create a new poem with their favourite sentences and then they would make an artistic end product. This is Caviardage, a piece of caviar they can share with others.
Caviardage is a creative writing method.The method was created by Tina Festa and features various poetic creative writing techniques that help to write poetry not starting from a white page but from texts already written: pages torn from old books, newspaper articles and magazines, but also texts in digital format. The action of «caviardage» what was done in the past to suppress in some writings of passages considered immoral by censorship. Now it has become a creative writing method.
– Showing students a new way to love literature, to love poetry, connecting both sorts of love to arts and sharing the end product with other European citizens, that’s the main aim of the project.
– Making learners realize though the choice of six different poems which talk about human ways of facing life (through destruction; through love to a man or woman; through love to our parents; through hope; through fear and hope when facing the unknown, through believing in our own ability to find and reach our goals, immigration) that poetry can be just a way to talk about ourselves.
– Making trainees realize that poetry can be made with our hands and not only with our pens and that poetry can be also a visual art.
- Istituto Statale d’instruzione Secondaria Superiore “Gian Tommaso Giordano” Monte Sant’Angelo FG, Italia. https://www.giordani.edu.it/
- X Liceum Ogólnokształcące im. I. J. Paderewskiego. Katowice, Poland. http://www.xlo.pl/
- Cead Santa Cruz de Tenerife Mercedes Pinto. Islas Canarias. España. http://ceadtenerife.es/web/